Conversion from SMF

Started by Zozma at May 26, 2020 6:12 pm
4 Posts

Zozma

Trash Mammal
35Years Young
2 Posts

I saw in another topic that there is no converter from SMF to Vesta but in the Download area, it says there is one in the works. Is there one in the works or has it been tabled? I finally want to move away from stinky SMF and all its problems but my two active sites would be irritating to move things over manually, ESPECIALLY WAB, as it has 44k+ posts and 400+ characters, which would just be ass to move over. Either way, whatever we do, we plan to move Battle Cry first, as it's younger and much smaller, with 2k posts and less than a 100 characters/accounts. 

We were thinking of updating to SMF 2.1 whenever it goes final but that just... come on. It's going to happen in like, what, 5 more years? And we've looked at pretty much every software under the sun but they all lack something. (Namely character accounts and bookmarks--I fucking hate Jcink's subscription shit and most other sites are like that too...) 

We're currently attempting a test forum on our server but it's freezing upon the "light up" part. 

Arceus

codemancer
30Years Young
46 Posts

Like a heartbeat, drives you mad, in the stillness of remembering what you had, and what you lost.

You know how it goes. It's meant to be written eventually, and if I had a site to convert I'd even have motivation and the materials to do it with. As it is right now, since it's not exactly an in-demand functionality, I hadn't been working on it. I know I can make it convert accounts and threads, posts, etc over, no problem. It's just doing it.

Make sure all of the files in Vesta are given 775 permissions and or are owned by the Apache user and group (or you). If it hangs up in the installer, it's most likely to be a file writing issue.

Zozma

Trash Mammal
35Years Young
2 Posts

We got it to work! I'm currently putting up the categories and forums. 

And I know how it is, no worries. We've actually moved BC manually twice before (from somebody else's site to our own Jcink to SMF) and it's been extremely slow there so it shouldn't prove much of a problem this time around, really.) I guess BC just wants to wander. Hopefully it finds a steady home here on Vesta. 

Arceus

codemancer
30Years Young
46 Posts

Like a heartbeat, drives you mad, in the stillness of remembering what you had, and what you lost.

Probably what I'm gonna need is an SMF database to work on figuring out conversions with. You guys just use subaccounts on both sites right? Cause I can skip doing the converter for ACM in that case. It would mean tho that the accounts that are subaccounted to another one will be turned into a character on Vesta, because most likely that's what they should be, so if you've got like shared NPC or staff accounts you'll wanna unlink those first. ... actually if you've got any shared accounts at all you'll wanna unlink them from everyone but one person unless they should be an actual account, because otherwise it would probably duplicate it.