I'm a Bit Lost and More than a Little Confused

Started by BadInfluence at May 11, 2020 12:05 pm
6 Posts

BadInfluence

?Years Young
3 Posts

Hello and I hope this is the right area? If not please delete or move? 

I was shown this site by a friend of mine who has seen some of the work done and we're both utter in love with it. We do a forum based role play through Simple Machine Forums and have noticed a lack in mods pertaining to multiple character profiles as well as the variety they allow. That is by NO means to say that we are not either grateful or impressed (because we are!) but we would like to add a bit more to what we currently have. 

Neither of us can code and were both on the over 30 side so a lot of jargon goes over our head too sadly. We're sort of good with SMF but lately we've been having issues with the character profile mod and some of our members being shut out and having to have an account deleted and restarted simply to allow them in. As you can imagine this is both a hassle for everyone involved but also takes a good deal of time as characters have to be copy/pasted to be saved since character transfers don't work on the newer versions of SMF. 

I was lead to believe that the lovely designer of this website is capable of this as she created one of the most stable character mods for SMF since slammedDime hasn't updated his to work past version 1.0.1 that I am aware of. I was also told that she does commission work? 

I hope this is not insulting anyone that is the farthest from what I am trying to do. I am just nervous and unsure and I tend to develop terrible foot in mouth disease during these moments and sadly it's not something I can really control. X_X 

If I was informed properly I would like to discuss how much it might cost to have a mod installed on our SMF forums? We saw the one on  https://www.sagaswildwest.com/  and the character profile there is just amazing. 

https://aereth.com/character/17-rhagarth-of-siege-perilous is also stunning and we are hoping for something along those lines? If it cant be done on a SMF forum then I would like to know how much it would cost for a website to be designed? 

Again I hope this is ok to post here? I dont know what else to do. ; _ ;

Thanks again in advance!

Arceus

codemancer
30Years Young
46 Posts

Like a heartbeat, drives you mad, in the stillness of remembering what you had, and what you lost.

Hello,

Unfortunately, while I am fully capable of what you're asking for, I believe, I no longer do commission work for SMF. I wrote my own software, Vesta, which this site and Aereth run, and I don't really have the time to do custom work for SMF anymore. Sorry. c: The only alternative I can think is asking on the SMF forums, or contact whoever made the profile mod you're using.

BadInfluence

?Years Young
3 Posts

Ah that's ok! Do you accept commissions for websites? I am wondering how much you might charge because I loved the look of the ones you created but admittedly I don't know much if anything at all about what goes into a website or how it gets hosted etc. XD  We're thinking about moving away from SMF because of how glitchy it can get and how some of the issues are so selective that there's no real smooth way to fix anything. :( Again thank you SO much for the speedy reply your wonderful! 

Arceus

codemancer
30Years Young
46 Posts

Like a heartbeat, drives you mad, in the stillness of remembering what you had, and what you lost.

And that is why I don't work on SMF anymore. c:

I do custom work for Vesta. If you'd like to poke around this site and play with it, you can see how it works and if you like it, and if you're not comfortable running it yourself, I do host sites on my server for free. (You can still donate freely or become a patron on Patreon to support Vesta's development as an optional thing.) I will do themes for it, most people give around $40, I charge a minimum of $20, the upcharge is for all the bells and whistles and template customisation.

Things will have to be moved over from your SMF to the new one manually because I haven't had time to code the conversion tools, but Vesta lets users with the site owner permission post as any user they want, and with any NPC they want, so you can set all the characters to NPC at first to transfer things and then set them to player characters after. Alternatively, you make everyone's characters and then transfer them to their proper player when you're done moving things. Or just start fresh. It's up to you.

I will warn you tho, since Vesta is coded and maintained only by me, bug fixes may take some time and updates will be slow.

BadInfluence

?Years Young
3 Posts

SMF has more bugs than a bakery has rolls more often than not and getting help for it can be long and difficult if not downright impossible. In all genuine honesty I am really interested in this and having a site designed by you. I just don't know how to host anything to be utterly blunt and I feel like it might be a little unfair to ask you to explain these things to me haha.

Instead let me ask this- Can you save your characters profiles and data and switch between them for posting? It looks like that's possible from what I have seen on the two aforementioned forums and that's my idea. I just want to be able to switch between characters, have their icon image, bbc image, bio and some finer details like eye color, height, romantic involvement etc. I like being able to switch between them via a pull-down menu in the posting are of the forum itself. 

If this is possible I'd like to get into some of the finer details and such and I will be more than happy to pay the 40$ that most donate! :) I have to say I am getting really quite excited because this sounds like such a smooth and easy fix to all the bugs and issues we've found with SMF. 

We just want to be able to role-play smoothly and not have people struggle with getting locked out or losing profiles or posts, having strange symbols show up in posts because your copy/pasting from your Word and the SMF sees it as a glitch. :/ 

Again thank you so much for your replies I cant tell you how much I appreciate it! 

Arceus

codemancer
30Years Young
46 Posts

Vesta does not have an account switcher. All character information is managed from the OOC account, and users can denote which character to post with at the posting screen via a drop-down menu, so rather than making an account switcher, Vesta made the use of one obsolete. The character biography form, which is used to build profiles (they're the same thing), is fully customisable. Add whatever information fields you want, and users just fill them in on their side, no coding to mess with on their end. Vesta also allows the ability to have rotating images for character avatars and accent images, so you can set more than one as avatar and have them change randomly on page load. It also automatically tracks threads characters have posted in, and supports character image galleries.

Vesta has a lot of other features, I'll just copy-paste a list for you, these are the ones I hear people applauding a lot.

1. Set up is a breeze. I've seen people get Vestas up and running in mere hours.
  2. It's notably more secure and modernised. Vesta was built on PHP 7.2 and then transitioned to 7.3, using object-oriented PHP. Layman's terms, it's not archaic and nigh obsolete. Object-oriented PHP is much easier to read and make sense of than procedural, which is what SMF uses.
  3. In addition to the character integrations, there's support for NPCs. These don't list as belonging to anyone in particular, and if you'd like you can turn on global posting with any NPC, otherwise it's restricted to staff and the user that created the NPC.
  4. If you know PHP, you can probably make Vesta dance. I've seen people do some pretty cool stuff with Vesta. Rotating character banners in the site header, for instance...
  5. Built in block control, and there are a number of block types in there we typically use for sidebars and top boxes. Yeah, no more doing the census tallies yourself, Vesta will do it for you.
  6. Speaking of no more doing tallies yourself, actually, you don't have to do face claim and who's who lists manually anymore. If you can connect it to a bio field, you can make an auto-list out of it. Players fill it in, it appears on the list automagically.
  7. Full control over the approval system, if you want one. If you don't, it makes it quite easy for your users to sort and manage their characters themselves.
  8. If your players do joint-posting, you can turn that on.
  9. Automatic chronological thread time-line. Nice for keeping track of events.
  10. Post reactions... yeahp that's a thing.
  11. Clean default theme, in both light and dark colour schemes, and they're mobile-friendly.
  12. Vesta clocks really high on most scoring rubrics for performance and SEO. By the way, this means your site is very likely to appear high on search engines once they're in the database.
  13. WYSIWYG posting editor. Oh, and drafting system for PMs and posts. So if your computer crashes, Vesta still has a copy of that post you were working on.
  14. Basically anything I could make automated, I did it. There's very little admin work leftover, Vesta saves you a lot of time, and you can spend more of it actually playing on your site. I have mine set up so that I pretty much don't have to do anything except show up.